Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Glory to God

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power to work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.  Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen Eph 3:20-21

Paul writes in the verses prior to this that he considers it a privilege of telling the Gentiles about the endless treasures available to them through Christ. (3:8) He shares this with great humility, not considering himself to have fully arrived and even states that he is the least deserving of all Gods people.

When I think of the treasures available through Christ I too am humbled and placed on my knees in reverence and thanksgiving of the work and gospel of Jesus Christ.

There is no new thing under the sun, no human philosophy or thought are new.  We recycle and repackage the same things over and over again, to systematically change how people of a different generation with different 'language' see and comprehend things.

But there is one thing that never changes, and that is the God of the universe.  He does not change like shifting sands, He doesn't bow down to culture, or the seemingly powerful influence it has on people.  He doesn't move his ministry or theology to appease sinful choices.  He stands as the creator of all things...not just a few things but all things.  He shows mercy through the work of Jesus on the cross and revealed himself through his son Jesus and the empowering work of the Holy Spirit.  This God head three in one is at work...and always has been.

In this place, this mighty power, he will accomplish more than we might ask or think.  You see as a limited human thinker (we all are!) I can only see in part.  Our brains are not fully aware of the mysterious ways of the Lord almighty and so we are flawed.  We will only see in partial vision, but a time is coming when we will see fully, when we stand in the presence of our Creator.

For me personally, this truth brings me peace.  It rules over my heart and gives me courage to continue to lay aside my sinful and broken ways.  Be it residual same sex attraction or gender issues, relational brokenness, I find the war rages inside me, between the spirit which cries out ABBA FATHER and my flesh which cries out for...MY INDEPENDENCE!  I can't have both.  My liberation comes as I submit all things into the Lordship of Christ, not by submitting to my own fleshly wants, human philosophies and broken patterns of thought and relating.

God has unlimited resources.  Resources that will empower us with inner strength through His spirit.  As we trust in Jesus, he makes a home in us and our roots will grow down into God's love and keep us strong.  This strength will keep us from being uprooted by those who will tickle our ears with poor theology.  A theology that will appease our brokenness, our own desires rather than the truth of the Gospel.

2 Timothy 4:3-8

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.  They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.  But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.  For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Let's continue to run the good race set before us.  Be alert, keep your head, endure hardship and keep the faith.  This journey we are on is not about us, it is about the Glory of God.  This should keep us firmly rooted in the love of God.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Kenny for this reminder and for sharing your heart.
I say Amen.

jelema said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.