Saturday, February 25, 2006

It's all about Trust...oh ya

Roman's 9:30-33

what does all this mean? Even though the Gentiles were not trying to follow God's standards, they were made right with God. And it was by faith that this took place. But the people of Israel, who tried so hard to get right with God by keeping the law, never succeeded. Why not? Because they were trying to get right with God by keeping the law instead of by trusting in him. They stumbled over the great rock in their path. God warned them of this in the Scriptures when he said, " I am placing a stone in Jerusalem that makes people stumble, a rock that makes them fall. But anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.

I have been thinking about a lot lately. Pondering faith, hope and love. I have been reading a lot about those three attributes...but also about trust. I have of course loved mercy and grace too and I walk with those two friends every day. But what is it about trust?
Immediately when I think of trust I wonder...do I really trust God? Do I really trust in his provision? Do I trust he will make all things right? So I have to look not in my circumstance but in the word...the bread of life...the springs of living water.
Being obediant and following all the commandments...are good, but if I do not trust God...I will stumble and fall...FLAT!
When I think that I won't have provision...I have to look at the word...and claim that for my life as truth and trust that God is true to his word...

Philippians 4:19-My God WILL meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
Psalm 23:1- The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
Psalm 132:15- I will bless her with abundant provisions; her poor will I satisfy with food.
1Timothy 6:17- Command those who are rich in this present world...to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.

I have actually found it interesting in this study thatwhat God says he will do is provide for our needs. Not alot is said about providing for HUGE houses, or multiple cars or extravagent lifestyles. He talks a lot about providing for our day to day needs. He even goes as far as saying that we are to command (which is a pretty strong word) rich people to put their hope in God. Saying that maybe for rich people hope can somehow be lost to them.

Now Trust...what does it say about trust?

psalm 40:4 blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.

Jeremiah 17:7-8 blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.


I could quote more, but I love Jeremiah so much. Wow, jammed packed with that one and one that I pray for myself. I want to be like that tree...that sends out roots and bears fruit. I want to trust God fully. Sometimes it is hard, so very hard. But I lean not on my own understanding or my own "feelings", they will fail me. I lean on the word, which is truth.
I was talking with someone the other day and we were talking about our spiritual walks and I made the comment about the presence of God in our lives. When we decide that we are going to walk in the light, walk with our trust fully on God, when we listen to his nudges, when we obey what he says, when we feed the poor, cloth the naked, help the widows and orphans...okay I hope you get the drift...when we are walking in what he has called us to do, who do you think is right there ready to try to make us stumble, or get discouraged, or cause dissention? It is the enemy who is ready to take us out. Why? Because we are doing what God wants us to do. It is when we are complacent...ho humming around, just going about our day type of christian that the enemy will leave us alone. Why? Because he has better people to try and stop. Those on the front lines...those building community, those loving others. So we arm ourselves, we get ready for those times, we stay in the light, we stay in community and we keep trusting in God and most importantly we keep loving each other. That by far is our greatest weapon of all.

Ya, just got on a role tonight. Oh and another thing...how do we define others...and ourselves? Is it with how many letters behind our names? Uh....I think I will leave that one for another time...but you can think about that and give me feed back on a Christian response.
Have a good one and keep on trustin!


No comments: